Ever wondered what those cool whiteout contacts are doing to your eyes? If you got them without a prescription, it may be more trick than treat… Wearing costume contacts without a prescription can cause lasting damage to your eyes. Have no fear though, we’re here to help.
Colored contact lenses are popular year-round for people who want to change the color of their iris. During the Halloween season there is also a surge of people using the cosmetic contact lenses to enhance the ‘WOW factor’ of their costumes. More than 80% of these wearers do not get a professional contact lens fit prior to inserting them onto their eyes though!
Wearing any type of contact lens without a prescription can result in a variety of eye complications, such as:
Many of the decorative contact lenses found online or in pop-up Halloween stores are NOT FDA-approved and are being sold illegally.
Don’t let this completely SCARE you… If you want to wear colored contacts, we can help! Then all you have left to do is have a Safe & Happy Halloween!
Costume Contact Lens Safety Guidelines
The FDA suggests the following steps if you would like to start wearing decorative contacts:
- Get an Eye Exam & Contact Lens Fit: Have your eyes properly measured by contact lens professionals.
- Use Your Valid Prescription to Purchase Your Lenses: Verify that an expiration date exists and that the lenses are as prescribed.
- Follow the Directions Carefully: This is important for cleaning / disinfecting the lenses and for putting the lenses into your eyes.
- See your eye doctor right away if you experience redness, pain, or a decrease in vision.
- Never Share Contact Lenses: Contacts are a medical device and should never be shared with others.