Ever wondered what those cool whiteout contacts are doing to your eyes? If you got them without a prescription, it may be more trick than treat… Wearing costume contacts without a prescription can cause lasting damage to your eyes. Have no fear though, we’re here to help.
Colored contact lenses are popular year-round for people who want to change the color of their iris. During the Halloween season there is also a surge of people using the cosmetic contact lenses to enhance the ‘WOW factor’ of their costumes. More than 80% of these wearers do not get a professional contact lens fit prior to inserting them onto their eyes though!
Wearing any type of contact lens without a prescription can result in a variety of eye complications, such as:
Many of the decorative contact lenses found online or in pop-up Halloween stores are NOT FDA-approved and are being sold illegally.
Don’t let this completely SCARE you… If you want to wear colored contacts, we can help!Then all you have left to do is have a Safe & Happy Halloween!
Costume Contact Lens Safety Guidelines
The FDA suggests the following steps if you would like to start wearing decorative contacts:
- Get an Eye Exam & Contact Lens Fit: Have your eyes properly measured by contact lens professionals.
- Use Your Valid Prescription to Purchase Your Lenses: Verify that an expiration date exists and that the lenses are as prescribed.
- Follow the Directions Carefully: This is important for cleaning / disinfecting the lenses and for putting the lenses into your eyes.
- See your eye doctor right away if you experience redness, pain, or a decrease in vision.
- Never Share Contact Lenses: Contacts are a medical device and should never be shared with others.