Kick off 2021 with your eyes in mind…
We know New Year’s resolutions can be hard to keep. Instead of being overwhelmed with your end goals, it can sometimes help to focus on smaller tasks that will help you reach them. Here’s some easy ways to boost your eye health all year long.
6 Lifestyle Habits That Help Promote Healthy Vision:
1) Eat Green – A diet rich in beta carotene, lutein, zeaxanthin, zinc, omega-3 fatty acids and certain vitamins play a key factor in overall eye health and help guard against vision loss from eye disease, such as age-related macular degeneration (AMD). To ensure eyes are performing their best, eat a diet rich in green, leafy vegetables, fruit and fish, while avoiding processed snack foods and soft drinks.
2) Get Active – Make it a goal to incorporate at least 30 minutes of exercise into your everyday routine. Healthy weight and normal blood pressure levels are key to improving your overall health, including your eyes.
3) Stay Hydrated – The body stops producing enough tears to lubricate the eyes properly when you are dehydrated. This can lead to Dry Eye Syndrome and eye strain. Drinking 8-10 cups of water a day will help to flush the salt out of your body and keep your eyes hydrated.
4) Avoid Smoking – Several research studies suggest smoking can likely increase deterioration of the macula due to the increased chemical compounds in the bloodstream, reducing blood and oxygen flow to the eye.
5) Get Shady – Sunglasses serve as a fashion statement, but the right pair can shield your eyes from the sun’s harmful UV rays, even in the winter months. Prolonged and high levels of UV an lead to serious health problems, including cataracts and macular degeneration. Remember to sport your shades to protect your eyes outside and while driving.
6) Schedule Your Annual Eye Exam – An routine eye exam is recommended for everyone, even when vision issues aren’t apparent. Having a comprehensive eye exam is the most important thing you can do to prevent or treat vision issues. Consult your local optometrist and schedule an annual eye exam to detect issues early and ensure proper treatment so you can continue seeing clearly.